Altın Mikrofon (Golden Microphone) song contest was first held in 1965 to help give a new direction to contemporary Turkish music through the use of western techniques, forms and instruments. The participants were consist of college student bands of metropolitan cities like İstanbul, Ankara and İzmir, who most of them were widely renowned bands like Moğollar, Haramiler, Erkin Koray. The finalists would get their contest song (and a song of their choice) recorded and printed as a single and sold on the music market for revenues which were left solely to the benefit of these groups.
Many bands and artists like Sis Beşlisi, Mavi Işıklar, Mavi Çocuklar, Cem Karaca & Apaşlar, Selçuk Alagöz, Silüetler, Oksijen, Kaygısızlar, Hayaletler and many more were introduced to Anatolian cities other than İstanbul, Ankara, and İzmir.
As the regulations for the contest was announced, 78 competitors applied immediately. The jury had a long list of 119 people (which reduced to 82 at the begining of the competition) including important musicians, artists and journalists like M. Nurettin Selçuk, Nadir Nadi, and Safiye Ayla.
Participating Bands and Artists
- Yıldırım Gürses - Gençliğe Veda/Canım İstanbul
- Mavi Işıklar - Helvacı/Kanamam
- Silüetler - Kaşık Havası/Sis
- Kanat Gür - Karadır Kaşların/İçimdesin
- Ferdi Özbeğen - Sandığımı Açamadım/Kes Kes
- İlham Gencer - Zamane Kızları/İstanbul
- Selçuk Alagöz - Kemerin Naftaları/Kaleden İndir Beni
- Cahit Oben - Halimem/Makaram Sarı Bağlar
- Metin Alkanlı - Karadut/Gül Dalında Öten Bülbül
- Dores - Gemiciler/Espanola
- Milliyet Highschools Music Contest